Sunday 5 August 2012

SBS - CDC Dun

This pattern has been working a charm for me during the hatches of pale wateries and BWOs this season (especially the evening BWO hatch) so thought I would share it.

Material list

Hook: straight dry fly 14-18, here I use a size 16 Partridge SLD
Thread: anything thin and strong, here I use the FishOn ultimate tying thread, strongest I have ever used
Wings and thorax: Natural CDC, 4 square ended feathers
Abdomen: Olive Lakeland superfine dry fly dubbing
Tail: Coq De Leon

1. Obviously tie on the thread and then bind the tail, aim for about equalt to body length and keep it a bit spread to help with stability.

Photobucket

2. Match the tips of the 4 CDC featehrs and then bind on, leave enough room for binding down behind the eye, 2mm should do.

Photobucket

3. splay the feather tips with your thumb and then pull the top 2 feather butts forward in line with the hook shank. When the butts are on top of the tips use your thumb and forefinger to draw the tips back and up, repeat this until there are no trapped tip fibres. Now bind the butts very tightly to minimise the size (hence the need for strong thread).

Photobucket

4. Now bring the two remaining butts around either side of the thorax to hold the wings upwards, again bind very tightly.

Photobucket

5. Neaten the head and then take the thread back behind the thorax.

Photobucket

6. Dub the abdomen of the fly.

Photobucket

7. Tie off behind the wings and add a drop of varnish, you are now done.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Apologies for the poor pics and the incredibly dirty vice jaws, they have seen a lot of use lately :D

I hope I explained this properly, the winging technique is really simple once you get used to it and by changing theabdominal dubbing around you can cover most olive duns, you can also pull the wings down flush with the body and then fish it as a spinner without even changing fly.

4 comments:

  1. I can certainly testify to the effectiveness of that fly! I'll be tying a few up myself;-)Nice SBS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you next coming up mate? Need to pin you down to a few dates actually.

      The dun certainly does it's job, not many refuse it.

      Delete
  2. Tasty looking fly Daniel...and nice Coq de Leon..is it new ? I'll tie a few of these up and try them on my river on Thursday, did you use these when you were down here ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roger,

      The Coq de Leon is from Lucian at flytying.ro he was really good to me when I didnt know what colour I want he sent me all the colours he had for the price of 1! Thsi colour was Pardo I think and is my favourite from him, it has the nicest barring.

      I had a few fish out from under that bridge we fished at the end of the day on this fly. It is really useful for those times when you are nto sure if they are taking duns or spinners, you can simply tug the wings down and the butts hold them in a sepnt spinner position!

      Dan

      Delete